Saturday, February 19, 2011

WTF

What The Furikake?
My friend Jean recounted a wonderful dinner party she had with her family and salmon furikake.   It sounded like they had such a good time, and I know Jean to be a down-to-earth eater whose father supplied Alice Waters with mulberries.  What better foodie recommendation could I have to try this Japanese seasoning? 
But, “What in the world is fuikake?”, you ask--as did I.  Furikake is a Japanese rice seasoning.  The usual predominant ingredient is bonito (tuna) flakes, but it also has seaweed and sesame (and some sugar).  Different variations exist.
I went on a shopping bonanza in “town” (Spokane) at one of the 3 Asian markets over Christmas and was ecstatic to see Furikake in the dry goods sections.   I must have been jumping up and down in delight, as Mr. Artifact and Number One Son rounded the aisle wondering if I needed assistance.  I bought Noritamago Furikaki (sesame, wheat, dried yolk powder, sugar, salt, shave bonito, and seaweed) and Katsuo Fumi Furikaki (shaved bonito, sesame seed, sugar, salt, soy sauce, seaweed).
Here is what I have done with them so far:
Katsuo:  sprinkled over grilled fish and served with a pho broth (with noodles, green onions, green chiles,  sautéed garlic, and shredded Daikon and carrot)
Noritamgo: sprinkled on homemade mayonnaise that topped some salmon baked in black bean curd sauce and served with rice
Both were pretty yummy.  I think they would also be great sprinkled on rice—as is their advertised purpose.
This was a tasty new addition to my pantry.

Here’s a cool recipe for Furitaki Chex Mix   that I am really excited to try. What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment